It’s been said that if you do the work that you love that you will never work another day in your life. Well, that’s kind of sort of true. I love what I do; however i is work, it’s hard work. It’s a paradoxical tension that I’ve learned to appreciate. I love spending time with family, sharing the Gospel, strategizing, connecting, thinking, dreaming, leading, challenging and helping others win. Fortunately, that’s what I do every day.
I love what I do and you should to. The reason so many people are not able to do the work that they love is because they are fearful of what would happen if they took that step of faith.
“STOP worrying about what would happen if you made those tough decisions and took the big risks. START worrying about the haunting regret you will experience if you never make the tough decisions, take the big risks and your life remains the same.”
10 Reasons You Should Be Doing The Work That You Love
- It’s what you love… duh.
- Life is too short to be wasting time doing work that you don’t even like.
- If you are sharp enough to rise to a leadership role for an organization you are not particularly fond of, you’re definitely sharp enough to successfully do something you love.
- It’s easier to wake up in the morning, when you’re waking up to do what you love.
- You are consistently motivated by an inner desire to do what you love and the success of it all is simply a nice bonus.
- Your dreams can be centered around what you love instead of dreaming about how to get out of a situation that you don’t like.
- You only live once on this earth. ((repeat))
- If you find yourself in what you perceive as mediocre work situation – you don’t have much to loose, pursue the work you love.
- If you don’t feel that you can leave the financial security, ask yourself “Will the money be the most important piece of my life puzzle 5-10-15 years from now?” Better yet talk to someone in the “Car Business” that chased the dollar their entire life.
- There is a reason something you love is burning deep down inside of you – it’s because it’s what you were created to do.
There are some great lyrics and encouragement for those contemplating, desiring or thinking about pursuing the work they love found in hip hop artist Emimen’s song “Lose Yourself.”
If you had one shot, one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?
You can do anything you set your mind to. ~Eminem
Maybe it’s time that you “Lose Yourself” or better yet, it’s time that you find yourself, it’s time that you do what you love and love what you do.
Scott Williams is a speaker, strategist, consultant and developer of leaders. He is an avid blogger at BigIsTheNewSmall.com, and leverages Social Media to make a Kingdom impact. Scott is passionate about leadership development, organizational growth and diversity. He is the author of “Church Diversity – Sunday The Most Segregated Day of the Week.” Scott is married, a father of two, and lives in Oklahoma City, OK.