Many of you have heard of the 80/20 principle as it relates to money people and time. If you are unaware of this principle it is derived from an Italian Economist, Vilfredo Pareto who discovered this concept in the early 1900’s. The bottom line is that if we streamline and focus our attention/efforts on our highest priorities (that top 20%) then we will achieve 80% of the desired results. I would like to take this a step further, as it relates to church members in ministry and people that you interact with in your profession. There will generally be 10% that really love you or what you’re doing, 10% that really dislike you or what you are doing and this makes up that (20%). The other 80% are generally comfortable with you and your direction. That 80% will return and support you each and every week. The wisdom in this is that you shouldn’t listen to your biggest naysayer’s or your biggest fans. I have read different research that translates the 80/20 principle into modern life applications. Below, I have listed my top 10 of “The Good,” several of which are my personal thoughts.
1. Fishing- 20% of fisherman catch 80% of the fish.
2. College Football- 20% of the universities play in the championship game 80% of the time.
3. Time- 20% of employees perform 80% of the work.
4. Leaders- 20% of leaders make 80% of tough decisions.
5. Business- 20% of the businesses’ receives 80% of business.
6. Church Giving/Serving- 20% of the people give/serve 80% of the money/time.
7. Blogs- 20% of blogs receive 80% of blog readers.
8. Reading- 20% of the book provides 80% of the memorable content.
9. Sermons- 20% of the message provides 80% of the life application.
10. World Changers- 20% of Christ Followers do 80% the World Changing.
The question that you have to ask yourself is “Am I in that 20% of the good?” Please don’t hesitate to share your 80/20 thoughts, remember 20% of blog readers make 80% of the comments.
Scott Williams is a speaker, strategist, consultant and developer of leaders. He is an avid blogger at BigIsTheNewSmall.com, and leverages Social Media to make a Kingdom impact. Scott is passionate about leadership development, organizational growth, and diversity. He is the author of “Church Diversity – Sunday The Most Segregated Day of the Week.” Scott is married, a father of two, and lives in Oklahoma City, OK.