I was a latchkey kid who grew up on comics. My parents actually bought me Marvel Comics to keep me busy when I got home from school.
My only problem with comics is that they lacked diversity. That was until I discovered Black Panther, who was introduced to a number of you when you see the superhero blockbuster movie “Captain America: Civil War” last week.
Chadwick Boseman will play Black Panther, who is a character with a strong moral base.
So let me let my real nerd out and tell you everything you need to know about the they mysterious Black Panther.
- He was the first black superhero in mainstream American comic books, so it’s fair to say that he paved the way for other African-American superheros such as Luke Cage.
- He was created by Stan Lee (the creator of SpiderMan) and Jack Kirby
- Black Panther first appeared with the Fantastic Four in 1966.
- The name Black Panther has nothing to do with the black political party of the 1960s, but people believed the two were tied so his name was briefly changed to Black Leopard.
- Black Panther got his own series in 1977.
- He’s an average-sized guy standing 6 feet and weighing about 200 pounds
- His physical attributes have been enhanced to superhuman levels by a heart-shaped herb.
- He is a brilliant tactician, strategist, scientist and tracker, much like Captain America. He also is a master of all forms of unarmed combat and his fighting style incorporates acrobatics ans animal mimicry.
- Black Panther is the ceremonial title given to the chief of the Panther Tribe of the advanced African nation of Wakanda. He also is the ruler of various tribes.
- He married Storm (Halle Berry)
- When he came to America he went to the South to battle the Ku Klux Klan.
- He has the ability to heal himself. Not as well as Wolverine, but still pretty cool.
- Maybe the best part of Black Panther, he is considered one of the eight smartest people on the planet. He’s a genius in physics and advanced technology. He also is an inventor.
As you can see, the Black Panther is one of the coolest, smartest, badest superheroes out there. I just wanted to share some of my nerd knowledge on him so when you see him kicking butt on the big screen, you will know more about the man behind the mask.