Our thoughts govern every aspect of our lives. Most people go about their lives in mostly a non-thinking mode. Their thinking is non-thinking because they tend to let others control them instead of taking control themselves. I see many people get caught up with some reality TV show when they could be focused on taking care of themselves. They tend to live their lives through the people on the shows.
Others have done the same thing through movies and more. We fall for the newest gadget that will help in getting fit and when we buy it, guess what? It’s simply another lousy piece of junk that sits in the corner or stuffed away in the closet. We start blaming all these different devices or products as to why we are not fit. So we go and purchase a gym membership. After paying monthly for a whole year, we are still not fit.
So we’ll keep buying all these different things to try to help us get into shape and we do this for countless years. All that has happened is that we keep getting fatter. Well, guess what? It’s not the gadgets or the supplements or the gym memberships or anything else that you’ve bought that is to blame. It’s simply your attitude and thoughts that led you to where you are at.
In order to change your level of fitness, you have to change how you think about fitness (as well as health). It’s time to get away from buying all those things and start doing the things that work. And that simply takes a change of perception.
That’s why I’m going to give you some ways that will help you to change how you think and start using your mind for fitness.
1. Get a journal. This is a simple tool that can be used in a number of ways. What I suggest that you do is to first write down your goal(s) that you want to accomplish regarding fitness. Then start writing down the actions and behaviors that you do when you have certain thoughts. In fact, the simple act of writing your thoughts will enable you to learn so much about who you are.
2. Reframe your views about fitness. Basically, it’s simply putting a different and more useful frame around something that will help you to make changes. Frames can be done in color or different shapes. You can even cover what you view with a different color to change how you feel about it. When you change even one aspect of an event or concept or thought, you change the whole of it. Even look at fitness that can be done anywhere. No equipment necessary.
3. Visualize yourself enjoying exercising. When you can imagine yourself actually having fun doing some exercise or anything that get your body moving physically, then it’ll start to change how you really feel and will want to do it. You can even add some aspects of reframing if that will help. In NLP we use submodalities to help increase or decrease one’s viewpoint. So as we look at each of our five senses, submodalities are simply the underlying qualities of each one.
4. Start off with some Tai Chi. This is a physical activity that also engages a relaxed state of awareness that will affect both mind and body. By doing this, you’ll learn to reconnect with your body as you move through each movement. Focus is also a key and helps to train your brain as your thoughts train your body.
5. Think action. Once you start your journey into fitness, think about engaging in continuous action. This will lead to new habits of fitness being created. After about a month of doing this, you’ll feel fully engaged and fitness will be a part of your life.
You are now on a journey and fitness will be a part of your life as it is with mine. Keep on track and you’ll glad that you did. Pass what you learn onto others.