In the business world, everyone understands what the term CEO stands for, as in Chief Executive Officer. This is the person in charge. The head honcho. The top dog. The buck-stops-here, no-nonsense, focused, decision-making leader at the top of the company food chain. A lot of power typically comes along with this position. Much fear or respect – which one depends on how they treat their employees and others – is included in this package. And the most common evaluation of performance is how well the company produced financially.
Well for a Christian, God’s expectations for the role of the person at the head of a company comes from a different perspective and takes on a greater level of significance. In fact for a Christian, CEO doesn’t stand for Chief Executive Officer. It actually stands for Christ’s Executive Officer. This “subtle” difference in titles changes everything for the leader of a company who has committed their life to becoming a disciple of Jesus.
It’s critical to understand this difference because God is evaluating you based on a different set of criteria than how the world most often judges CEOs.
Here is what I consider the job description of one of these special roles in the corporate enterprise called the Kingdom of God:
- Ownership by Christ (Acts 17:11)
- Submission to Christ’s leadership (Galatians 2:20)
- Possessing delegated spiritual authority from Christ (Acts 1:8)
- Inspired and coached by the Holy Spirit in your decision-making (John 14:26)
- Leading others with Christ-like character (servant leadership) (Matthew 23:11)
- Focused on accomplishing God’s will through the business you lead (Luke 19:11)
- Creating a work culture where great relationships are developed (discipleship) (2 Timothy 2:2)
- Cultivating an empowering environment where people are challenged and celebrated (Philippians 2:3)
- Faithful stewardship to grow the business for long-term profitability and sustainability (Matthew 25:23)
- Utilizing the profits of the company as directed by the Holy Spirit to transform lives (2 Corinthians 9:6-11)
If the CEO of the Universe has hired you to start or lead a business you are indeed Christ’s Executive Officer. Fortunately, you don’t to worry about doing this in your own strength. You have the full endorsement of the eternal Board of Directors (Holy Trinity) and their staff (angels) to ensure your efforts are successful.
So, are you ready to embrace this most excellent of opportunities?
Paul Wilson, Jr., President of Kingdom Business University, is a faith-based entrepreneurship educator, small business advocate, and community development catalyst who utilizes multiple media platforms to deliver his fervent messages of personal and professional empowerment. He is the author of the highly anticipated forthcoming book, “Inc. My Dream: A God-Inspired Process to Turn Your BIG Idea Into a Dream Business.” He has helped countless numbers of people transfer the concept of a fulfilling life purpose into an abundant reality. Learn more about how Paul can help you unleash your passion on purpose at www.paulwilsonjr.com.